Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Hadley-Kendall House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wabash College
Original/Historic Place Name: home of Professor Atlas Minor Hadley
Location on Campus: Crawford St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1857original construction
1927rebuilt and addition of brick facade
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival, Italianate (Glossary)
Significance: education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: originally wood frame, bricked over in early 20th century
Roof: asphalt shingle
 
Function:
1857-1957private residence
1957-present (2006)other (owned by college)
ca. 2004-present (2006)private residence (now inhabited by the Dean of Students)
 

Narrative:
This house is another example of a structure built as a private residence near the Wabash campus that eventually came to hold a particular place in the history of the college and to be maintained by the college. Atlas Minor Hadley, the first resident of the house, graduated from Wabash in 1852; by 1855 he was made principal of the Preparatory Department housed in the new Normal School (now Kingery Hall) and later became professor of Greek. Hadley was much loved by his students, who "caned" him at a relatively young age (the college has the gold headed ebony cane with students' names engraved), a significant honor for a professor.

Following Professor Hadley's death in 1866, his widow, Eliza, remained in the house until 1922, giving music lessons and lodging many students. In 1927, Dean George V. and Yvonne Kendall bought the house from the Hadley estate and rebuilt it, adding the brick facade without changing the lines of the original wooden house. They lived there until 1957 when the college purchased the house from them. For generations of Wabash men and faculty, Dean Kendall set an exemplary standard of thought and conduct, character and common sense, receiving the highest respect and admiration of Wabash students. As the only dean, he was in charge of academics, the faculty, operations, student housing, health, discipline, and activities. The restored Kendall home was felt to be a model for gracious living, and they often entertained college guests.
 

References:

Montgomery County Interim Report. Indianapolis, IN: Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, 1986.

Larson, Jens Frederick, and Archie MacInnes Palmer. Architectural Planning of the American College. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1933.

Osborne, James I., and Theodore G. Gronert. Wabash College: The First Hundred Years, 1832-1932. Crawfordsville, IN: Wabash College, 1932.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006