Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Kingery Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Wabash College
Original/Historic Place Name: The Normal School
Location on Campus: Service Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1854original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Greek revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, engineering, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: brick
Roof: copper
 
Function:
ca. 1900private residence
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices (emeritus faculty)
ca. n.d.academic department building (classics)
 

Narrative:
This is the earliest academic building in its original location on campus. Its original purpose was to separate students in the two or three year normal course and the large number of young preparatory students (some of whom were pre-teens) from those in the college course. Interestingly, it was built perpendicular to the "building line" already established by Old South and Center Hall (now being planned) and at the then outer southeast corner of the campus. Although the building had a late-twentieth century fire and has been used also as a private residence, infirmary, dormitory, home for the classics department, and currently provides offices for retired professors, it retains many of its original features.

Professor Hugh McMaster Kingery taught Latin for fifteen years over the turn of the twentieth century and served as dean of the faculty briefly. He was an outstanding scholar and published widely. While his family lived in the converted classroom building, Mrs. Kingery was very active in the community helping found the local public library, using her own interest in arts and crafts to encourage local women to start cottage industries for income, and promoting gardening for profit by women.
 

References:

Montgomery County Interim Report. Indianapolis, IN: Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana, 1986.

Larson, Jens Frederick, and Archie MacInnes Palmer. Architectural Planning of the American College. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1933.

Osborne, James I., and Theodore G. Gronert. Wabash College: The First Hundred Years, 1832-1932. Crawfordsville, IN: Wabash College, 1932.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006