| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Presser Music Builas designed and dedicated to the teaching of music, and it is static in this respect. Presser Hall opened on January 31, 1930. Before the Luther fire, a generous gift of $50,000 for a music center had already been given by the Presser Music Foundation of Philadelphia in recognition of the outstandingly fine work in music by the Baylor College Conservatory over the years, and especially under the direction of Professor Walter Gilewicz, who was to head the department for thirty years.
The foundation's gift had been contingent upon the College matching the fund. Mrs. H.L. Kokernot of San Antonio, who in 1919 became the first woman on the Board of Trustees of Baylor College, was joined by her husband in a $25,000 gift. Loyal students, alumnae and faculty solicited funds from friends and hometown churches to furnish the building.
Long, Chris, and Tory Laughlin Taylor. Baylor Female College Historic District [University of Mary Hardin-Baylor]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.