| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed between 1923-25 on the north side of College Street, the gymnasium building originally included a basketball court, offices, showers, dressing rooms and lockers. Contractor R. Burton Child built the gym for $48,673.15. The gym was the second major building raised on campus and continued to serve its original purpose until it was converted in 1989 into the headquarters and on-campus training center for the Environmental Resource Training Center. Also in 1989, the section of College Street where it was located was closed and turned into an attractive green space with wide sidewalks connecting to the campus. Structurally, the building has sustained very few alterations over more than 75 years. It was named Renninger Gymnasium in 1982 in honor of Donald Renninger, who had served as coach, athletic director, and professor from 1936-1981.
Kern, Richard. Findlay College: The First Hundred Years. Nappanee, IN: Evangel Press, 1984.