| Click on image titles for larger views. |
| Institution Name: Bard College |
Original/Historic Place Name: Hoffman Library
Location on Campus: on a small knoll at the northern end of the main campus road on the west side.
Date(s) of Construction:
Designer: Robert Venturi
| 1893-1895||original construction; Hoffman Library |
| 1976||addition of Kellogg wing |
| 1993||original construction; Stevenson Library Venturi, Robert |
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism, Contemporary, Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
| Materials: |
|Foundation: Hoffman/Kellogg: stone; Stevenson: concrete|
|Roof: Hoffman/Kellogg: metal; Stevenson: flat|
| 1893-present (2006)||library|
The Bard College library is composed of the classical Hoffman building (based on an Ionic temple with pediments facing east and west); the Kellogg wing; and the new main library building, the Stevenson. The earliest of them, the Hoffman, was built through a gift by the college's most generous 19th-century patron. The architect of the Stevenson Library was Robert Venturi.
Hudson River Historic District [including Bard College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.