| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The South Oval, located to the south of the Olmsted Administration Building, was included in the original layout of the Evansville College in 1921. At that time, it was regarded as the institution's centralizing feature, and to a large degree this purpose has been observed. The open lawn area provides a clear view of the original buildings, and provides a space for casual interaction among faculty and students in the manner of the quadrangles at Yale or the Academical Village of Thomas Jefferson's University of Virginia. Its flat, grassy expanse is encircled by large, native deciduous trees.
Evansville Department of Metropolitan Development. Evansville College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1983.
Klinger, George. We Face the Future Unafraid: A Narrative History of the University of Evansville. Evansville, IN: University of Evansville Press, 2003.
Olmsted, Ralph. From Institute to University. Evansville, IN: University of Evansville, 1983.