Clifford Memorial Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
A Lily Endowment was awarded as a challenge gift of $200,000 if the school could raise $450,000. The money was raised and groundbreaking took place in November of 1955. The library was named in memory of Mr. and Mrs. George Clifford, the first person to suggest moving Moores Hill College to Evansville. A time capsule was placed in the cornerstone and is scheduled to be opened in 2206. During construction, an oversight was realized and not enough steel reinforcement was used to hold the intended weight. Hence the floors were poured twice. The style reflects the Collegiate Gothic but with a flat roof.
Klinger, George. We Face the Future Unafraid: A Narrative History of the University of Evansville. Evansville, IN: University of Evansville Press, 2003.
Olmsted, Ralph. From Institute to University. Evansville, IN: University of Evansville, 1983.