Treadway Science Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Constructed in 1928, this is the only Tusculum building to be used continually for the same purpose since its beginning. Originally known as the Science Building, it was renamed in 1989, in honor of William L. Treadway, an alumnus and benefactor.
This Neoclassical building's entryway is an eclectic mix of architectural styles, with large Greek Revival columns and Gothic Revival arched windows integrated into an Adamesque fanlight. The building also has a large cupola. The building's original design was altered in the 1960's with exterior stairways being added to the sides of the building. It is currently undergoing restoration of exterior wood trim.
Fuhrmann, Joseph T. The Life and Times of Tusculum College. Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986.
Ragan, Allen. A History of Tusculum College, 1794-1944. Bristol, TN: King Printing, 1945.
Reiners, John R. Tusculum College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
Sexton, Donal J., Jr., and Myron J. Smith Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum College--A Pictorial History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing, 1994.
Tusculum College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].