| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Originally known as Craig Hall, this building was constructed in 1892. It was the second building on campus donated by Mrs. Cyrus McCormick, and was named for the Rev. William G. Craig, DD, Mrs. McCormick's pastor. It was through him that Mrs. McCormick was introduced to Tusculum College. He was affiliated with the McCormick Seminary in Chicago, where several Tusculum graduates were in attendance. In 1998, the building was renamed Welty-Craig Hall in honor of Stanley R. Welty, then board of trustees Chairman and a College benefactor.
The dormitory originally housed seventy boys, as well as a kitchen and dining room, and laboratories for the physical sciences. Still a men's dormtory today, the building has undergone slight exterior alterations in the relocation of some windows and minor interior renovations.
Fuhrmann, Joseph T. The Life and Times of Tusculum College. Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986.
Ragan, Allen. A History of Tusculum College, 1794-1944. Bristol, TN: King Printing, 1945.
Reiners, John R. Tusculum College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
Sexton, Donal J., Jr., and Myron J. Smith Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum College--A Pictorial History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing, 1994.
Tusculum College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].