Tusculum Arch, The
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built in 1917 at Tusculum College's traditional entrance by J. T. Ponder, one of the foremost rock masons of Tennessee, the Archway was constructed with stone from the college's own quarry. Money for the arch was donated by the Girl's Glee Club. The arch design, represented in all Tusculum buildings built before and after the arch, with one exception, has come to be the symbol of Tusculum and the Civic Arts Curriculum. The arch is in excellent condition.
Fuhrmann, Joseph T. The Life and Times of Tusculum College. Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986.
Ragan, Allen. A History of Tusculum College, 1794-1944. Bristol, TN: King Printing, 1945.
Reiners, John R. Tusculum College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
Sexton, Donal J., Jr., and Myron J. Smith Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum College--A Pictorial History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing, 1994.
Tusculum College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].