Albert Columbus Tate Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In the early 1900's, Tusculum College and Washington College had merged into a single institution and as such had obtained a pledge of $21,000 from Andrew Carnegie to construct a building. When the institutions split in 1910, Mr. Carnegie agreed to divide the funds equally, and Tusculum's share of $10,500 went to the construction of the Carnegie Library.
Originally the library housed a gymnasium, an oval track built as a balcony around the gym floor, and classrooms as well as the library in the basement. After 1927, the building was devoted entirely to the library. In 1991, it was renamed in honor of Albert Columbus Tate, the valedictorian of the 1894 Centennial class.
The building is currently closed as a $10,000,000 addition is being added to the building, which comprises a major upgrading of the College's library facilities. The running track and many of the original elements of the interior and exterior of the existing structure will remain intact. The work will also be a significant step in the preservation of the original portion of the building.
Fuhrmann, Joseph T. The Life and Times of Tusculum College. Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986.
Ragan, Allen. A History of Tusculum College, 1794-1944. Bristol, TN: King Printing, 1945.
Reiners, John R. Tusculum College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.
Sexton, Donal J., Jr., and Myron J. Smith Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum College--A Pictorial History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing, 1994.
Tusculum College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].