Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
McCormick Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Tusculum College
Original/Historic Place Name: McCormick Hall
Location on Campus: Shiloh Rd.
Date(s) of Construction:
1887original construction Haynes, Warren H. Brown, A. Page
1966renovation
Designer: Warren H. Haynes and A. Page Brown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Romanesque revival, Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: unknown
Walls: brick
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1887chapel
ca. 1887other (meeting rooms of Literary Societies)
1887-present (2006)classrooms
1887-present (2006)administration
 

Narrative:
Named after Cyrus McCormick, the inventor of the mechanical reaper, this building was constructed in 1887 using funds donated by his widow, Nettie Fowler McCormick. Many architectural features of the Romanesque style can be seen, including arches, bell tower, and hipped roof. The building was the second building constructed on campus following "Old College" built in 1841. The building is in good structural condition. The interior, however, has been "modernized" several times during its life and although much of the original fabric and design remain, they have been covered with contemporary building materials. In addition, one major renovation, ca. 1966, eliminated a two-story open balconied chapel area by inserting a second floor.

The construction of the building by Mrs. McCormick reflects the beginning of a tradition of her support of the institution, steps toward modernization of the campus, and her commitment to supporting church-affiliated higher education, especially where it served regions that provided fewer opportunities for students. Her support also reflects the McCormick's belief in a strict Calvinist interpretation of Presbyterian doctrine. This belief is also reflected in the McCormick's establishment of McCormick Theological Seminary in Chicago.

Along with classrooms, McCormick Hall today houses the president's and other key staff offices, as well as the board of trustees room. Built in along the walls of the board room are the original pillars which supported the choir loft in the old chapel.
 

References:

Fuhrmann, Joseph T. The Life and Times of Tusculum College. Kingsport, TN: Arcata Graphics, 1986.

Ragan, Allen. A History of Tusculum College, 1794-1944. Bristol, TN: King Printing, 1945.

Reiners, John R. Tusculum College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1980.

Sexton, Donal J., Jr., and Myron J. Smith Jr. Glimpses of Tusculum College--A Pictorial History. Marceline, MO: Walsworth Publishing, 1994.

Tusculum College. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].

McCormick Hall [Tusculum College]. Historic American Buildings Survey photographs and drawings. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, [n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006