Haggerty Art Village
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The first small building of the Haggerty Art Village was completed in 1960 and was the first academic building completed after the initial six structures built for the opening of the University in fall 1956.
Designed by O'Neil Ford, the building was deliberately located away from the original buildings and in an area that, contrary to typical construction practices, had not been cleared of trees. A favorite work of Ford's, he considered the structure, which features simple materials, exhibition and gathering spaces, high ceilings, and wonderful light, as especially built to encourage the making of art. This building also established the basic aesthetic principles for the rest of the complex, which includes another building designed by Ford (with associates Landry & Landry) and the final building in the series, the Haggerty Art Building and Gallery, designed by Gary Cunningham.
Dillon, David. The Architecture of O'Neil Ford: Celebrating Place. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press, 1999.