Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Drill Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Bard College
Original/Historic Place Name: Drill Hall
Location on Campus: E or W of Cnty. 103
Date(s) of Construction:
ca. 1860original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick
Roof: slate
 
Function:
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (storage)
 

Narrative:
This one-story building is of masonry construction and designed in a Gothic Revival style. The building has a gable front with a small hip at the apex. The building features red brick, a stone foundation, and angle buttresses on the sides. The building is surmounted by a slate shingle roof with close eaves and cornice. The front elevation includes paired doors enframed by a segmented-arch surround with limestone details. The building is built into the side of a hill a few hundred feet north of the main house. The original function of this property is not known; it was, however, used by Andrew C. Zabriskie as a drill hall for his private military unit.
 

References:

Hudson River Historic District [including Bard College]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1990.

Kline, Reamer. Education for the Common Good: A History of Bard College--the First 100 Years (1860--1960). Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: Bard College, 1982.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006