Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Cox Rotunda

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: University of Charleston
Original/Historic Place Name: A.W. Cox Reception Hall
Location on Campus: Riggleman Hall
Date(s) of Construction:
1950-1951original construction Meanor, Greife & Dailey
Designer: Meanor, Greife & Dailey
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls:
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1951other (reception hall)
 

Narrative:
Located within Riggleman Hall, the Cox Rotunda is an oval-shaped reception hall with painted wall murals. Executed in 1962-1963 by Dwight Mutchler, professor of art at Ohio University, on the occasion of the University of Charleston's 75th anniversary in 1964, the murals interpret the institution's goals in relation to its natural and cultural environment. Some of the scenes depicted include: the pioneer days of West Virginia; Riggleman Hall as conceived and as actually built; the founding fathers; a text expounding institutional values; representations of commerce, industry, natural resources, medical and health services, recreation, education, and religion; the capitol and motto. President Riggleman, trustee and donor A.W. Cox, and student Eddie Kinder (class of 1962) are also depicted. In addition to the painted murals, the Cox Rotunda features striated eggshell and brown marble, and decorative plaster and terrazo work.
 

References:

Badger, Frank. "Architectural Notes on the University of Charleston." Typescript. Morris Harvey Archives, University of Charleston, Charleston, WV.

Memo from Mary Angel to Mr. McManus, September 23, 1988. President's Office, University of Charleston, Charleston, WV.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006