Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Quad, The

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Trinity College (CT)
Original/Historic Place Name: Quad, The
Location on Campus: expansive open area at the center of the campus framed on three sides by buildings
Date(s) of Construction:
variousmaster plan
Designer: various
Type of Place: Landscape site
Style: (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
1878-present (2006)outdoor space (used for Commencements and special convocations)
 

Narrative:
The Quad and the buildings bordering it, whether instructional, residential, administrative or religious in nature, reflect English collegiate practice in their grouping and speak to the College's mission as an institution of higher education. In 1872, when Trinity sold its original campus in the center of Hartford for use as the site of a new state capitol building, William Burges, the eminent English architect, was engaged to design the buildings for the new campus on the Rocky Ridge site to the south of the center of Hartford. His design called for the arrangement of buildings in four closed quadrangles in line. Although the American supervising architect, Francis H. Kimball, modified the plan by reducing the number of quadrangles to three, the College's resources permitted only the construction of the westernmost bar-like arm of the central quadrangle. As described separately, this range of buildings is known as the "Long Walk," and over the years, other buildings adjoining it, also described separately, have created northern and southern east-west arms. The eastern side of The Quad remains open, and this expansive area with its associated buildings continues to be the focal point of the campus.
 

References:

Weaver, Glenn. The History of Trinity College: Volume I. Hartford, CT: Trinity College Press, 1967.

Armstrong, Christopher D. "Qui Transtulit Sustinet: William Burges, Francis Kimball, and the Architecture of Hartford's Trinity College." Journal of the Society of Architectural Historians 59, no. 2 (June 2000): 194-215.

Knapp, Peter J., and Anne H. Knapp. Trinity College in the Twentieth Century: A History. Hartford, CT: Trinity College, 2000.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006