McKim, Mead & White building group: Cook Hall/Hamlin Hall, Clement Chemistry Laboratory, Goodwin-Woodward Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The renowned firm of McKim, Mead & White were responsible for the range that includes Cook and Hamlin Halls, the Clement Chemistry Laboratory, and Goodwin-Woodward Hall. These contiguous buildings constitute the cluster leading from the southern extreme of Burges's bar-like Long Walk. All of the architects following Burges were forced to come to terms with his powerful edifice. McKim, Mead & White therefore designed buildings that blended seamlessly into Burges's Victorian pile. They retained the Gothic style and rough brownstone walls, but settled for English Perpendicular Gothic detailing. These buildings, along with the group at the north end of the Long Walk (Williams, Downes, and the Chapel), form a loose quad that frames the central green space of the campus. It is one of the most majestic open spaces of New England colleges.
Knapp, Peter J., and Anne H. Knapp. Trinity College in the Twentieth Century: A History. Hartford, CT: Trinity College, 2000.
McKim, Mead & White. Recent Buildings Designed for Educational Institutions. Philadelphia: Beck Engraving, 1936.