Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Darien Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: University of Bridgeport
Original/Historic Place Name: Levi W. Eaton House/William A. Grippin House
Location on Campus: 82 Marina Park St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1893original construction Lambert, Henry
Designer: Henry Lambert
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian, Other (Glossary)
Significance: culture, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation:
Walls: brick lower story with red sandstone base and window jambs and heads; second floor fishscale wood shingles
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1893private residence (of Levi W. Eaton)
ca. 1959-1989residence hall (law school)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (vacant)
 

Narrative:
Darien Hall was built as a residence by Levi W. Eaton, president of Bryant Electric Company, in 1893. Eaton was invited to build a home in marina Park by Barnum himself, and the Eaton home faced the elliptical Marina Park circle along with Barnum's fourth estate, Marina. Reacting to real or perceived financial difficulties, Eaton sold the house almost immediately after building it to William A. Grippin. Grippin was president and principal owner of the Bridgeport Malleable Iron Company, president of the Vulcan Ironworks and the North and Judd Manufacturing Company of New Britain, as well as the director of the Century State Bank of New York.

The home was acquired by the University in 1959 and served primarily as a dormitory for law school students. As such, it holds sentimental value for the many law school alumni. However, it is currently in considerable disrepair, having been unoccupied since the early 1990's.
 

References:

Brilvitch, Charles W. Marina Park Historic District [including University of Bridgeport]. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1982.

Halstead Associates. Historic Site Report: Lavinia L. Parmly House. [s.l.: Halstead Associates], 1989.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006