Sara Dickey Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Sara Dickey Building presently houses offices, classrooms, and laboratory space associated with Tougaloo College's participation in the Jackson Heart Study. The one-story brick structure was built in 1927 following the destruction of the old hospital and infirmary as a result of a fire in 1926. Also designed by Emmett Hull, this facility, named after Sara Dickey, a long time College nurse, served as the College's infirmary and health clinic until 1998. Although this building is not included in the College's historic district, it is presently being researched for its inclusion.
Campbell, Clarice T., and Oscar Allan Rogers, Jr. Mississippi: The View from Tougaloo. Jackson, MS: University of Mississippi Press, 1979 and 2002.
"Campus Planning and Development Assessment," National Park Service report (1989).
Dixon, John Morris. "How to Grow a Campus: 1. Tougaloo College." Architectural Forum 124 (April 1966): 56-60.
Historical Sketch of Tougaloo University: Tougaloo, Mississippi. [s.l.:] American Missionary Association, 1909.
Mayo, Amory Dwight. Industrial Education in the South. Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1888.
Mississippi State Building Commission. "Physical Facilities, Institutions of Higher Learning, State of Mississippi, Public and Private Institutions." Report. 1967-1968.
"Negro." WPA Records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Jackson, MS.
"Tougaloo College." WPA Records, Mississippi Department of Archives and History, Jackson, MS.
U.S. Congress. House Committee on Natural Resources. Historically Black Colleges and Universities Historic Building Restoration and Preservation Act: Report Together with Dissenting Views (To Accompany H.R. 2921) (Including Cost Estimate of the Congressional Budget Office.) [Washington, DC: Government Printing Office, 1993.]
Wise, Deborah G. Tougaloo College Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1998.