| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Fritz Homestead is one of the few and best examples of rural farmstead houses from the mid-1800's remaining in Texas. The original structure was the home of Frederick and Eliza Fritz, who were part of the great German immigration to Texas in the mid-nineteenth century. Arriving in 1851, they acquired approximately 800 acres of land, and built this home to use as the center of their farming and family activities.
The current structure is actually two smaller houses joined together, one the original farm house dating from 1860 and the other a house built next to it in 1890. When the two houses were joined together to make the current house in 1912, the surrounding property was provided to the Seguin West Side Development Corporation. The corporation succeeded in convincing Lutheran College of Brenham to move to Seguin in 1912 and the first building was on the former Fritz land, just about one city block's distance from the Fritz Homestead. Later, as the antecedent institutions of what is now Texas Lutheran University secured more land, the house became surrounded by the university and a descendent of the Fritz family, Betty Jean Jones, led efforts to preserve the house as the university facility which it has now become.