Mary J. Regier Building
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
At the time of its inception, Tabor College consisted of only one building. Following the fire of April 1918, two buildings were erected: a large building to house administrative offices, classrooms and a chapel, and a second smaller building to serve as a girls' dormitory and dining hall. The construction of the second building was made possible by the generosity of a single woman from Henderson, Nebraska, Mary J. Regier, who donated her inheritance in the amount of $15,000, for this express purpose. Construction began in March of 1919 and was completed in March of 1920, at which time the front entrance steps were completed and the dining room occupied.
William Mampe, from Kansas City, Missouri, was engaged to design and construct both the H.W. Lohrenz Building and the Mary J. Regier Building. This second smaller building was designed to match the larger more elegant Lohrenz Building, but with simpler motifs and decoration. Instead of large free-standing columns at the front entrance, the effect of columns was designed in the brickwork, utilizing the same contrast with red brick and terra cotta.
During the 1950's through the 1980's the building was known as the Music Hall. In the early 1990's the name was returned to the Mary J. Regier Building, to honor the memory of the donor for the building. It is affectionately called "the MJR."
Tabor College Blue Jay (1916-1920): 18-19.