| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The two-story hexagonal gatehouse was designed by A. J. Davis. The frame building includes applied stucco which has been scored to appear as ashlar. Fenestration on the building is somewhat irregular with 16-pane and 12-pane casement windows. The original entrance includes a paneled door with pilasters to the right; the front door is sheltered by a hipped canopy roof with large pierced decorative brackets. The building is surmounted by a standing seam metal roof with a small cupola and broad overhanging open eaves distinguished by large and small scroll sawn braces.
This gatehouse with bracket trim relates to the bracketed original Blithewood manor house, which marked the first appearance of Davis' famed bracketed style.
Kline, Reamer. Education for the Common Good: A History of Bard College--the First 100 Years (1860--1960). Annandale-on-Hudson, NY: Bard College, 1982.
Hudson River Historic District. National Park Service Report and Inventory. Hudson River Heritage Office, Rhinebeck, NY, [n.d.].