| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Although the total number of millstones (grindstones) taken from this site is unknown, three millstones from colonial times remain. During the 1960s, the Stonehill College Archeology Club determined that these particular stones were most likely used to grind acorns to make pig feed. They based this belief on their knowledge that sandstone, the type of rock from which the stones are carved, is incapable of producing the fine grain that is necessary when grinding wheat or corn.
Some stones remain partially chiseled from slabs of rock in the ground, but only one appears to be near completion as its center hole has already been carved. We have been unable to confirm who owned the stones or exactly which mill commissioned their construction, but deed research indicates J.O. Dean as the leading possibility. Dean was the owner of a central gristmill in Easton, and owned this piece of Stonehill in the 1800's.
Source: Stonehill College Publication, The King Philip History Trail.