| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
In addition to designing the Ames estate house, architects Parker, Thomas & Rice also planned the entire estate and designed one of the other main buildings known as the Ames Gym. Built for the family as a modern recreation center, this building has always possessed character - boasting a heated indoor swimming pool and a clay tennis court under a glass roof. Today the original wood floor (put in by the college when the tennis court was replaced with the school's gym) remains. This area now serves as an auditorium. The pool was covered in 1952, in order to create bathroom facilities for the women students, first admitted to Stonehill in 1951. Today, it serves as a conference room. The upstairs included quarters for the tennis and swimming coach and today houses offices for the Department of Alumni Affairs. Yet even with the changes from family recreation center, then to college gym, intramural gym and finally its current renovation as Alumni Hall in 1991, the building retains many of the original characteristics and is a significant building on campus.
For more information about the architects, see Place 1-Donahue Hall in this survey.