Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Office of Marketing and Communications

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Stetson University
Original/Historic Place Name: Allen House, Office of Public Relations
Location on Campus: 516 N. Woodland Blvd.
Date(s) of Construction:
ca. 1880original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Victorian (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick piers
Walls: wooden drop siding over wooden balloon frame
Roof: composition shingles
 
Function:
ca. 1880-1950private residence
ca. 1950faculty offices (faculty lounge)
ca. 1950residence hall (faculty and students)
ca. 1950classrooms
ca. 1964alumni center
ca. 1964administration (Development, Public Relations)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (Marketing and Communications Office)
 

Narrative:
The oldest building on Stetson's campus, what is now the Office of Marketing and Communications was built in the early 1880's by pioneer settler James F. Allen. He reportedly watched the building of DeLand Hall, Stetson's first educational building, from his porch and told the builders, "Go ahead and build your school and I'll furnish you some scholars." All four of the Allen children attended Stetson University.

The building remained a private residence until 1950, when the university acquired it. Over the years it has been used for classrooms, faculty and student housing, and a faculty lounge. In 1964 it was completely renovated and became the Alumni House, with offices for Development and Public Relations as well. Much of the original structure and character were retained in the remodeling. It has a steep gable roof with cross gables, drop siding and patterned wood shingles, and a corbelled brick chimney. It is in good condition.
 

References:

Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.

Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.

Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.

A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006