| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Conrad Hall honors trustee and donor Jacob B. Conrad, an area lumberman. Construction costs were about $15,000 in 1909. In 1937, a one-story portico and commons room were added to the front of the three-story building. Conrad features a gambrel roof pierced by shed dormers, with half-round windows in the gambrel ends. Its exterior is buff sandstone brick, with red brick for the quoins and stringcourses at the foundation and second floor level. Renovated in 1984, Conrad Hall is in excellent condition.
Always a residence hall, it was occupied during World War II by STAR Unit, the Special Training Army Reserve Unit at Stetson.
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.