| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
A masonry vernacular one-and-a-half-story building, Stover Theatre is home to the oldest collegiate theatrical company in the south. Originally called Assembly Hall, because Florida churchmen complained about Stetson's building of a "theatre," it was renamed Stover Theatre in 1938 to honor Irving Stover, Stetson professor of speech since 1908.
Seating about 350, it was the first theatre built just for dramatics at a Florida university. In 1991, it failed a fire inspection and Stetson completely renovated it in 1992, including the wiring, and reduced its seats to about 300. The interior has a Mediterranean influence in the lobby, seating area, gallery and small balcony. The exterior features a gable roof, marquee, diamond pane double-hung sash windows and French entry doors. It is in good condition.
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.