| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
This stately two-and-a-half-story home adjoining the campus was purchased by Stetson University in 1948 for use as the president's home.
A good example of Neoclassical style, it has a symmetrical façade, hip roof of tile pierced by hip dormers, and corbelled brick chimneys. Its full-height entrance porch with classical Ionic columns and pilasters features a second story balcony with French doors.
Five Stetson University presidents have lived there, from Dr. J. Ollie Edmunds to Dr. H. Douglas Lee. Warm and welcoming, the home and its gardens are often used for university entertaining and represent the face of Stetson to many. The president's home is often featured in Area Tours of Homes.
It was extensively remodeled in 1987, a large side porch was added in 1992, a garden pavilion was added in 1994, and it is currently undergoing another renovation. It is in excellent condition.
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.