| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Completed in 1934, the 116-foot Hulley Tower contains an 11-bell carillion, and a mausoleum for Stetson's second president, Lincoln Hulley, and his wife Eloise. Hulley served as president for 30 years (1904-34), and he and his family built the tower as a gift to the university. He died before it was finished.
The Eloise Chimes were first housed in Elizabeth Hall's cupola, but were moved when Hulley Tower was built. They consist of 11 rough cast bells, four large and seven smaller ones, ranging from 3,000 to 575 pounds, hung from an all-steel structure 106 feet high. They are played with wooden handles, each attached to a bell by a system of pulleys, wires and leather straps. The playing platform is located on the tower's second level, open to the air and reached by a narrow stone staircase. A series of iron ladders leads to the bells, also open to the air.
Stetson's bells have rung over the campus and the city once or twice a day since 1915, depending on the availability of bellringers. They are a DeLand and Stetson University tradition. In 1994, the Kaiser family of DeLand endowed a scholarship to pay the bellringer.
Renovated in 1986, Hulley Tower is in excellent condition.
Johnston, Sidney. "The Historic Stetson University Campus in DeLand, 1884-1934." Florida Historical Quarterly (January 1992): 281-304.
Lycan, Gilbert L. Stetson University: The First Hundred Years. DeLand, FL: Stetson University Press, 1983.
Shiver, W. Carl. Stetson University Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1991.
A Walk with the Founders: Stetson University Campus Historic District. Booklet. [DeLand, FL: Stetson University/Public Relations Office], 1996.