William H. Sheppard Library
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
William H. Sheppard Library was completed in 1956 and houses approximately 115, 366 volumes. Dr. Sheppard, for whom the building was named, completed his training for the ministry at Stillman in 1887 and with Samuel B. Lapsley founded the American Presbyterian Congo Mission at Luebo in what was then Belgian Congo (Zaire). In 1989 the Ashel and Merle Jackson Communication Complex was annexed to the facility.
Grandison, Kendrick Ian. "Negotiated Space: The Black College Campus as a Cultural Record of Postbellum America." American Quarterly 51, no. 3 (1999): 529-79.
Sykes, William M. Historical Development of Stillman College. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1930.
Terri, Paul W. ed. A Study of Stillman Institute. Tuscaloosa, AL: University of Alabama Press, 1946.