| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The entire campus of St. Norbert College is a place of historical significance because of the variety of trees, shrubs, flowers, and other plantings done by Fr. Anselm Keefe during his time on campus between 1910 and the 1970s.
While he served as the Dean of the college, Chair of Biology, teacher, colonel in the U.S. Army, and Norbertine priest, he succeeded in transplanting most of the trees and shrubs indigenous to Wisconsin. He also planted gardens and built shrines, and developed the first detailed campus tree plan. Not only did his plantings beautify the campus, but they also served as a valuable resource for his classes. He was considered the resident botanical expert on campus.