Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Abbot Pennings Hall of Fine Arts

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Norbert College
Original/Historic Place Name: Abbot Pennings Hall of Fine Arts
Location on Campus: at entrance to college on mall
Date(s) of Construction:
1956original construction Berners, Schober & Kilp
Designer: Berners, Schober & Kilp
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: culture
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick veneer, concrete block
Roof: metal deck flat built-up
 
Function:
ca. 1956-present (2006)classrooms (music and theater classrooms)
ca. 1956-present (2006)theater (proscenium theatrical stage and seating for 860)
ca. 1956-present (2006)academic department building (music and theater classrooms, piano practice rooms, and stage storage areas)
ca. 1956-present (2006)auditorium
ca. 2004-present (2006)theater (thrust stag theater with seating for 185, handicapped accessible dressing room, box office)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (choral room, band rehearsal room, drama rehearsal space, practice rooms, green room, instrument storage, specialized piano practice room)
 

Narrative:
Abbot Pennings Hall of Fine Arts was dedicated June 3, 1956 in memory of the founder of St. Norbert College. Abbot Bernard Pennings, O. Praem., who served as president of the college from October 10, 1898 until his death on March 17, 1955.
 

References:

Pieters, Donald L. St. Norbert College Buildings Centennial Edition. De Pere, WI: St. Norbert College, 1998.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006