Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Ray Van Den Heuvel Family Campus Center

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Norbert College
Original/Historic Place Name: Van Dyke Gymnasium
Location on Campus: center of campus on the river
Date(s) of Construction:
1929original construction Reynolds, William E.
Designer: William E. Reynolds
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, history, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: concrete
Walls: brick
Roof: metal decking with smooth roll roofing and operable skylights
 
Function:
ca. 1929-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 1929-present (2006)gymnasium (and workout room)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (reflection room)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (student mail boxes)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (Dining Services, Food Service, Convenience Store)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (offices for: Dept of Leadership, Service & Involvement, and Cultural Diversity)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (offices for: governing, programming, and media student organizations)
ca. 2004-present (2006)other (meeting rooms, student organization resource rooms)
 

Narrative:
Built in 1929, the Ray Van Den Heuvel Family Campus Center was originally called "The Gym." At the time of its construction it was considered the premiere indoor sports facility in Northeast Wisconsin. Many famous athletes and teams used this facility.

In 1945 the building was renamed to honor the college's first student, Frank VanDyke. This building was decommissioned in 1979 and replaced with a new sports center. In 2000, VanDyke Hall was renovated, expanded and converted to the Ray Van Den Heuvel Family Campus Center, a modern student recreation and activity center.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006