Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Payson Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Lawrence University
Original/Historic Place Name: Horticultural Hall, Dairy Building
Location on Campus: Park St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1910-1911original construction New York State Architect's Office
Designer: New York State Architect's Office
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Other (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: stone
Walls: brick and Potsdam sandstone
Roof:
 
Function:
ca. 1911academic department building (Horticultural and Dairy Building for State School of Agriculture)
ca. 2004-present (2006)administration (admissions)
 

Narrative:
The second main building erected as part of the State Agricultural School, Payson originally served as the horticultural and dairy building. It is a small two-story rectangular brick building with much less architectural detailing than adjacent Cook Hall. Window lintels and most other devices to relieve the wall plans are of the same red brick, thereby giving the structure a more stolid appearance. Symmetrical on all sides, the main facade features a central bay set out from the building and containing the main entrance, which is heavily trimmed in Potsdam sandstone. A truncated hip roof is pierced by varying sized dormers.
 

References:

Baule, John A. St. Lawrence University--Old Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006