Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Piskor Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Lawrence University
Original/Historic Place Name: Cook Hall
Location on Campus: Park St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1907-1909original construction New York State Architect's Office
Designer: New York State Architect's Office
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: Potsdam sandstone
Walls: brick
Roof: metal
ca. 1909academic department building (first building of State School of Agriculture, St. Lawrence University)
ca. 2004-present (2006)faculty offices
ca. 2004-present (2006)classrooms
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (history, philosophy, sociology and anthropology)

Designed by the first New York state architect, Cook Hall was originally the first building of the State School of Agriculture, St. Lawrence University. It is a red brick and Potsdam sandstone rectangular structure trimmed with concrete and topped with a hipped roof surmounted by a hexagonal cupola. The facades are symmetrical with rows of paired windows. Dormers and four chimneys relieve the expanse of the roof - especially at each end. The main entrance is located in a central bay set out from the remainder of the facade. The building has continuously housed classrooms, faculty offices, and laboratories in a typical early 20th century interior, which is currently being remodeled. The facade will remain unchanged.


Baule, John A. St. Lawrence University--Old Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006