| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Built with funds from the estate of A. Barton Hepburn, chairman of Chase Bank in New York City, and an equal gift from his wife, Emily Eaton Hepburn, Hepburn Hall is an eclectic collegiate structure. The exterior is finished in the same Morley white limestone as that used in Gunnison Chapel. The main symmetrical facade is highlighted by a series of Gothic-inspired buttresses and a slightly protruding central section containing the main entrance. All the windows in the three-story building are casement type and contained in vertical, round-topped, slightly recessed panels that run from the ground level to below the roof edge. The interior originally housed part of the growing science department with a large lecture hall serving a variety of academic and non-academic functions. In 1978, the interior was completed renovated with new stairwells, furniture, and decoration, but the exterior remains virtually as originally constructed except for a new enclosed fireproof stairwell on the northeast side.
Hepburn Hall was dedicated on October 26, 1929 by Marie Curie.
Baule, John A. St. Lawrence University--Old Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.