Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project


Gunnison Memorial Chapel

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Lawrence University
Original/Historic Place Name: Gunnison Memorial Chapel
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
1925-1926original construction Goodhue, Bertram Grosvenor
Designer: Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Gothic revival (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Foundation: stone
Walls: white limestone
Roof: slate
ca. 1926-present (2006)chapel

The chapel is a twentieth-century Gothic revival style structure of white rusticated limestone quarried in nearby Morley, New York. It exhibits many characteristics of Gothic design: exterior buttresses, stone tracery, pointed-arched windows, and an interior cathedral ceiling partially built of old ships' timber from Maine. It also features vaulted interior side corridors, and an exterior asymmetrical tower with a battlement parapet and a traced polygonal spire rising more than 100 feet from the ground. This spire is topped with a Gallic cock weather vane as a French reminder of the Christ and St. Peter story.

Other notable features include a tower chime built by the Meneely Company of Troy, New York, and given by author Irving Bacheller, interior beam designs probably painted by Frenchmen commissioned from Montreal, and a pipe organ built by Estey Organ Company of Brattleboro, Vermont. The organ contains 2,000 pipes in the main bank and 450 pipes in the echo bank of the tower. As originally built, the chapel contained two stained-glass windows in the chancel: a Crown-Cross window, and a Morte d'Arthur symbolic work. Since 1972, the remainder of the windows have been filled with stained glass in designs incorporating the various aims and missions of the university.


Baule, John A. St. Lawrence University--Old Campus Historic District. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1974.


Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006