Francis Scott Key Auditorium and Mellon Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Designed by the California firm of Neutra and Alexander, this modernist building contains the 600-seat Francis Scott Key Auditorium, Conversation Room, music library, music and laboratory classrooms, and administrative offices (added in 1989). The auditorium was named for St. John's most famous alumnus; the building was named for philanthropist Paul Mellon, a student at the college in 1940 and a generous benefactor. The building also houses an observatory and the Theodore McKeldin planetarium. President Eisenhower dedicated the complex in 1958. The building is significant as one of the few surviving Neutra buildings on the East Coast and reflects many of Neutra's guiding principles, such as bringing the outdoors to those indoors. This is best seen the FSK lobby, with its wall of windows and interior landscaping.
"College Buildings: St. John's, Science and the Arts in a Venerable Setting." Architectural Record 12 (September 1959): 176-79.
Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. McDowell Hall, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD; Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.
Weigle, Richard Daniel. Recollections of a St. John's President: 1949-1980. Annapolis, MD: St. John's College Press, 1988.