Chancellor Johnson House
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
A fine example of an early 18th century gambrel-roofed dwelling, the Chancellor Johnson House was constructed in 1720 for Allen Quynn, cordwainer and former mayor of Annapolis. The house was moved to the campus in 1937 after being purchased by the Chesapeake and Potomac Telephone Company, which needed its location on Northwest Street to make room for projected offices. The house is named for John Johnson, an alumnus of the class of 1820 who at one time owned the property on which the house stood, but lived with his family in a larger brick house fronting West Street. Johnson was the last chancellor of the state of Maryland, a position abolished in 1851.
Dunbar, Florence T., and O. Ridout. Reverdy Johnson House [St. John's College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1965.
Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. Chancellor Johnson House, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD; Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.