| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Dedicated in 1858 as a dormitory, this building with Italianate overtones was named for William Pinkney (1764-1822), the only pupil of the King William's School that historians have been able to identify. Pinkney served as minister to England and Russia and as Attorney General under Madison. Like Humphreys Hall, Pinkney's roofline was once fretted with turrets- richly decorated finials that originally capped the massive rick buttresses above the roof line. These were removed in 1942. The only one of the buildings Hector Humphreys built whose use has not changed, Pinkney continues to house students.
Dunbar, Florence T. Pinkney Hall [St. John's College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1964.
Tilghman, Tench Francis. The Early History of St. John's College in Annapolis. Annapolis, MD: St. John's College Press, 1984.
Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. Pinkney Hall, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD; Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.