| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Although the Paca-Carroll House was built early in the Victorian era as another duplex to serve two faculty families, the house is a simple, well-proportioned building reminiscent of the Federal era. It was named for two signers of the Declaration of Independence: William Paca, who was among those petitioning the General Assembly for the college charter, and Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a member of St. John's first board. James Cain, the American novelist, whose father taught at St. John's, was born in Paca-Carroll in 1892. In this century it became a student dormitory, which was enlarged in 1981 when a contemporary wing was added and the original section was gutted and rebuilt.
Dunbar, Florence T. Brick Double House [St. John's College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report and photographs. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1964.
Morrison, Hugh. Early American Architecture: From the First Colonial Settlements to the National Period. New York: Oxford University Press, 1952.
Paca House and Garden. National Register of Historic Places nomination form. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1971.
Tilghman, Tench Francis. The Early History of St. John's College in Annapolis. Annapolis, MD: St. John's College Press, 1984.
Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. Paca-Carroll House, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD: Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.
Wollon, James Thomas, Jr., and Frank S. Welsh. Paca-Carroll House, St. John's College, Annapolis, Maryland: An Historic Structure Report. [Havre de Grace, MD: James Thomas Wollen; Ardmore, PA: Frank S. Welsh], May 1979.