| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Chase-Stone House at St. John's College was begun by local builders Daniel M. Sprogle and Daniel H. Caulk to the designs of architect, Nathan G. Starkweather. Starkweather designed the building in an Italianate style that is reminiscent of Italian palazzo design.
Eventually named in honor of local statesmen and Maryland signers of the Declaration of Independence, Samuel Chase and Thomas Stone, the building was constructed as two separate dwellings intended for the college's principal and vice-principal. The Italianate style dormitory was one of three buildings constructed on the campus by the academic institution in the 1850's. The building served its original purpose until 1929, when it became a fraternity house. With the abolishment of fraternities in 1939, the building became a men's dormitory. In 1963, under the direction of local architect James Wood Burch, the twin dwelling was extensively altered, particularly on the interior, to create a dormitory for twenty-seven students.
Dunbar, Florence T. Chase-Stone House [St. John's College]. Historic American Buildings Survey report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/ National Park Service, 1964.
Morrison, Hugh. Early American Architecture: From the First Colonial Settlements to the National Period. New York: Oxford University Press, 1952.
Tilghman, Tench Francis. The Early History of St. John's College in Annapolis. Annapolis, MD: St. John's College Press, 1984.
Trieschmann, Laura, and Kim Williams. Chase-Stone House, St. John's College. Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties report. Crownsville, MD: Maryland Historical Trust, 2000.
Turner, Paul Venable. Campus: An American Planning Tradition. New York: Architectural History Foundation; Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1984.