Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Cozart House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Barber-Scotia College
Original/Historic Place Name: Cozart House
Location on Campus: near Graves Hall
Date(s) of Construction:
1940original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Modern/post-WWII, Other (Glossary)
Significance: culture, education, history
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: sheet rock
Roof: a framed wood
 
Function:
 

Narrative:
Barber-Scotia College was established in 1876 by The Reverand Luke Dorland, a missionary who came to Cabarrus County to establish a college to educate young black women in the South. Scotia Seminary merged in 1930 with Barber Memorial Institute. Barber-Scotia College has been co-ed since 1954.
 

References:

Barber-Scotia College. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1985.

Cozart, Leland Stanford. A Venture of Faith: Barber-Scotia College, 1867-1967. Charlotte, NC: Heritage Printers, 1976.

Facilities Master Plan. 1992. Barber-Scotia College, West Concord, NC.

Facilities Master Plan. 2003. Barber-Scotia College, West Concord, NC.

"Scotia Seminary: A Noble Institution Takes Roots in Troubled Times, 1866-1912." In the Beginning: Special Commemorative Edition of the Index. [s.l.: s.n., n.d.].

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006