Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Campus

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: St. Andrews Presbyterian College
Original/Historic Place Name: Campus
Location on Campus:
Date(s) of Construction:
1958-1960original construction Odell, Jr., A. G. Odell Associates, Inc.
Designer: A. G. Odell Jr. & Associates
Type of Place: Building group
Style: Modern/post-WWII, Modern/post-WWII (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, culture, landscape
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Function:
ca. 1960-present (2006)master plan (campus)
 

Narrative:
A. G. Odell, Jr. and Associates and others centered the St. Andrews campus, constructed on former farm land, around a sixty-five acre lake that recalls the endangered and famous Carolina Bays and poquosins of the region. Designed to promote community, a causeway connects the student residence halls and student union on one side and the academic buildings on the other. The open plan emphasizes an outdoor, natural environment. Buildings contain expanses of glass walls, pavilion styles, and interior courtyards. The college founders planned a flexible campus that would accommodate growth easily as they expected to increase enrollment from 850 to 2,000 students. Maintaining a sense of intimate community was facilitated through small residence halls accommodating eighty to one hundred students each. The campus was the first in North Carolina to have central heating and air conditioning in all buildings.
 

References:

Dober, Richard P. Campus Planning. New York: Reinhold Publishing Corp., 1963. Reprint, Ann Arbor, MI: Society for College and University Planning, 1996.

 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006