Christ the King Chapel
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
When it was built in 1952, Christ the King Chapel was placed in the geographic center of the campus to make the point about the centrality of faith and worship to the mission of St. Ambrose University and the students' lives. The imposing tower, which is visible for many blocks in several directions, emphasizes this centrality. Finally, the choice of white brick on a campus of otherwise red brick buildings, makes the point yet again. Although it is no longer the geographic center of the campus, the building continues to serve as the chapel. Its lower level, originally filled with small, crypt altars for the celebration of Mass by the many priest faculty members, now houses offices for campus ministry and the faculty of the departments of theology and philosophy. In 1968 a seminary building was added to the east of the chapel with classrooms and faculty and student residences.
Farrell, Anthony G. Bees and Bur Oaks: 100 Years of St. Ambrose College. Davenport, IA: St. Ambrose College, 1982.