| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Carriage House was built circa 1922 as a pumphouse-garage. The two-story, hipped-roof structure has three basket-arched openings at the ground level that have been infilled with brick, wood sash windows, and a slab door with transom. Paired and single wood sash windows surround the building on all facades at both levels and an exterior concrete stair with metal pipe railing on the south elevation has replaced an earlier wood frame stair leading to a wood panel door with transom at the second level.
This is a load-bearing brick structure. The first floor is a concrete slab while the second floor structure is framed with wood. The first and second floors are approximately 1,400 gross square feet each. The exterior stair provides the only access to the second floor.
Bell, Klein & Hoffman. St. Edward's University: A Preservation Analysis of Five Older Campus Structures. Austin, TX: Bell Klein & Hoffman, 1981.
Dunn, William H. Saint Edward's University: A Centennial History. Austin, TX: Saint Edward's University Press, 1986.