Holy Cross Hall
| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
The Holy Cross Hall was built in 1903 as a dormitory structure. It is similar in plan, but smaller in scale and more restrained in detail than the Main Building. The three story and basement structure is faced with Austin Common brick, with rusticated stone basement, lintels and central projecting portico. The portico was removed from the Main Building and rebuilt on the new dormitory building after the 1903 fire. The alternating flat, segmental and lancet arched openings are topped with a continuous hoodmould at the three main floors on all facades with decorative brick and stone insets above second floor windows at the front façade. A cupola topped by a cross is centered behind the central gable end of the front façade. A hexagonal stair tower is at the center of the south elevation.
Bell, Klein & Hoffman, Architects and Restoration Consultants. Saint Edward's University: A Presentation Analysis for Five Older Campus Buildings. Austin, TX: Bell, Klein & Hoffman, Architects and Restoration Consultants, 1981.
Dunn, William H. Saint Edward's University: A Centennial History. Austin, TX: Saint Edward's University Press, 1986.
Bell, Wayne, and Claude Kennard. St. Edward's University Main Building and Holy Cross Dormitory. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1973.