| Click on image titles for larger views. || |
Named for Southwestern University Regent (President) Francis Asbury Mood, Mood Hall was originally designed as a men's residence hall. The building had an internal courtyard that opened to the skies, which was closed in during later renovations. When the women's annex burned in 1925, the boys moved out and the girls moved in. The girls later moved out to a new building, Laura Kuykendall Hall.
In the 1940's Congressman Lyndon Johnson was instrumental in bringing the Navy V-12 unit to Southwestern, and they were housed in Mood Hall. The presence of many athletes in the V-12 unit brought good fortune to Southwestern's athletic program and the football team won the Sun Bowl in 1944 and 1945, giving Southwestern the distinction of being undefeated in Bowl appearances.
As dorms were added and more space was required for offices and classroom the building was converted to classrooms and offices. In the present Facilities Master Plan, Mood Hall is scheduled for renovation. The renovation will focus on preservation, mechanical/electrical systems and maintaining the building character that the faculty and students enjoy.
Jones, Ralph Wood. Southwestern University 1840 - 1961. Austin, TX: Jenkins Publishing Co., 1973.
Myrick-Newman-Dahlberg and Partners. Campus Planning: Redesign, Redevelopment, Rethinking: Proceedings of a Professional Development Symposium. [Dallas, TX: Myrick-Newman-Dahlberg & Partners], 1983.
Williams, Joe, and Michael C. Riddle. Southwestern University Administration Building and Mood Hall. National Register of Historic Places designation report. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Interior/National Park Service, 1975.