Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Stewart Field House

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Southwestern College
Original/Historic Place Name: Stewart Field House
Location on Campus: south edge of campus on Warren St.
Date(s) of Construction:
1923original construction
1999renovation
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Regionalist/Vernacular (Glossary)
Significance: architecture, education, religion
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: native stone
Walls: native stone
Roof: asphalt
 
Function:
ca. 1923-1950library
ca. 1923-present (2006)academic department building (athletics)
ca. 1923-present (2006)gymnasium (currently includes athletic department offices)
 

Narrative:
Located on the south edge of campus, Stewart Field House has been the home of college athletics, especially basketball and volleyball, for 80 years, and also includes athletic offices. It is one of the oldest, most impressive buildings in Cowley County and has always served as the site of Commencement exercises if inclement weather made exercises in the football stadium impossible.

As with all buildings on campus, native stone dominates, although the irregular stones are quite different from the rectangular stones used in the later buildings, including Christy Hall. A remarkable piece of architecture and engineering, engineers undertaking the renovation in 1999 found the 80-year-old structure, founded on solid rock, to be completely safe and stable. The Field House now sits at the entrance to King Drive, which goes up the hill to Christy Hall and is the automobile entry to the main portion of the campus.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006