Council of Independent Colleges Historic Campus Architecture Project

 

 
Miller Hall

Click on image titles for larger views.
Institution Name: Southern Adventist University
Original/Historic Place Name: Miller Hall
Location on Campus: 5051 Promenade (east entrance); 5070 Industrial Dr. (west entrance)
Date(s) of Construction:
1954original construction
Designer: unknown
Type of Place: Individual building
Style: Beaux-Arts classicism (Glossary)
Significance:
Narrative: see below
References: see below
Materials:
Foundation: brick
Walls: "red-line" brick trimmed with Indiana limestone
Roof: asphalt shingles
 
Function:
1953-present (2006)chapel
ca. 2000academic department building (religion, until it moved to Hackman Hall)
ca. 2004-present (2006)academic department building (modern languages)
 

Narrative:
Miller Hall, completed in 1953, was named for Harold A. Miller, who taught keyboard and choral groups from 1935-42 and 1945-52. Miller was a noted composer of gospel hymns. The building includes a chapel named for Southern Junior College alumnus and former General Conference President Robert H. Pierson.
The Modern Languages Department recently moved to Miller Hall, after the School of Religion transitioned from Miller into the newly renovated Hackman Hall.
 

References:
 

Contact us / About Site / About CIC
© 2006
Council of Independent Colleges
Washington, DC
All rights reserved
Last update: November 2006